Friday, November 6, 2009

Tripping my way through Europe, one scuffed shoe at a time


I am inherently clumsy. Don't know why, but I always have been. It is really an amazing thing that I can ski, given how clumsy I am (without 2 sticks attached to me by means of some serious engineering and a whole lot of cold, slippery stuff under foot). In an earlier post, I mentioned something about the Americans with Disabilities Act Guidelines and how there doesn't seem to be any semblance of that here, and that I could write an entire post about that . Well, here it is. Landscape architects will appreciate this. Others, stay tuned for another post that may better suit your taste.

The ADA is a rulebook for design. It is much easier to design ADA-style in the first place than have to redesign. Lets face it, it isn't cool to exclude someone from a space because they have issues navigating the terrain. This makes sense. But apparently, years ago, when these ancient cities were built, this didn't make sense. Because most of the 'Old City' sections of all the European cities I have been to make it really difficult to navigate.

What are the culprits? Steep slopes, narrow passages and the biggest villain, the cobblestone. Yes, they look great and were probably locally sourced and are easy to repair. But they are easily tripped over, as has become apparent by looking at the toes of my shoes. All scuffed up and dinged. And the heels don't fare any better. I am able-bodied, despite the clumsiness. How does someone who is not feel? Shopping becomes limited to accessible areas, sightseeing becomes a chore and a danger, if it can be managed at all.

We were in Zurich on a Field Trip a few weekends ago. In the Old City, or Aldstadt as it is called here, some masons were doing repair work on the cobblestones. My husband and I were trying to figure out exactly what they were doing and how to get around it. There were wet patches of mortar that weren't barricaded and dry areas that were. Strange. And it was steep and narrow.

I looked up an alley in another direction and it looked like they were installing low granite steps that were spaced obnoxiously far apart. I can only assume it was an attempt to break up the grade, but the rise and tread were only a few inches and the spacing was so far. And they only did it on half the walkway, so bikes and wheelchairs could get through on the other side. But the wheelchairs would have had a tough, bumpy go of it, if they could manage at all, without being pushed.

So he said to me, "What are they doing?" I said, "Installing tripping hazards." So, I am going to refer to this issue in general, as tripping hazards, from here on out. I know it encompasses much more than this, but this is a blog not a professional journal.

The big obvious reason why tripping hazards are so much more common in Europe than the US is because Europe is old. That makes sense. And no none is or should be in a rush to tear out all the urban tripping hazards and install prefab, production line pavers that are easier to navigate. That would be a disaster for many reasons including preservation, cost, infrastructure and runoff.

Thankfully, the world continues to improve through design. There must be something the design world, myself included, can do to remedy these problems, by integrating the old world charm with modern ease and comfort. How to retrofit the old stuff to make it safe and easy to walk or roll on top of? Until I figure out how, I will just keep tripping my way through Europe and occasionally twisting my ankle. When I go home, I will look at ADA design and really appreciate all the work that went into creating those Guidelines. And perhaps, walk a lot easier.

And after my German gets better, I want to read more about what design parameters are used here, for new construction and restoration. There must be something similar to our ADA Guidelines. The newer areas are pretty reasonable to pass across, without breaking shoes or heels. And many of the modern pavers are sustainable and really creative.

On another note, a nod to the Swiss and their mountains. Huge, long tunnels get you through mountains, instead of having to go around. Cog railways, gondolas and cable cars can get you up the mountains, to where the really good Field Trips are. It seems as though anyone, young or old can get up there, to take in a vista or a long ski run. I haven't done a formal survey, again, this is a blog, but it seems as though many are accessible by wheelchair. That is an accomplishment that Swiss engineers should be acknowledged for.

No comments:

Post a Comment