Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Park im Gruenen and Brueglingen

Today, at least so far, is a particularly beautiful, windy, stormy autumn day in Basel. I really like the fall. And I really don't like the heat of summer. So, being that today is such a wonderful day and that I am grateful for the weather, I was thinking back on where to start my Field Trip exploration. I will start way back when it was miserably hot, just after arriving here in Basel in May.

I like to scope out the botanical gardens when I travel. So we headed to Brueglingen, one of 2 botanical gardens in Basel. This place was great. Lots to see, sprawling spaces and plenty of good horticultural eye candy. But it was so hot that day...


The architecture of this place was very new to me. This was the first time that I really got to see the traditional buildings of a Swiss farm, at least for this Canton of Switzerland. Much different than what I am used to at home. I was and continue to be fascinated by the enormous overhanging eaves of barns. I have always had a secret desire to be a veggie farmer, and this makes the thought even more appealing to me. Ahh, to be able to call such a cool building my office, or at least my potting shed.


Brueglingen had all the usual assortment of botanical garden necessities, such as regional biotope areas, ponds, roses and rhodos, rock gardens, etc. But what I liked best about the place was the combination of modern sculpture and traditional grounds and architecture. It was done very well, in a way that honored each different entity, but made it seem as though it had always existed that way.

Then onto the adjacent area, called Park im Gruenen. This park was created in 1980 as part of the horticultural exhibition Gruen 80. It is obvious that landscape architects had been here! Lots of funky earthwork, individual areas with different themes, sculptures, great rockscaping and waterscaping.


How would you like to play on this! This is a play piece designed by Jean Tinguely. Sort of looks like an elephant to me. I am sure it is not ADA compliant, though. This is another thing I continue to marvel at, while in Europe. How difficult they make it for any differently-abled person to get around here. But that is a whole post of its own. Tinguely's work is great, sort of like real, live Dr. Seussian machines. There is a great museum devoted to him and his work in Basel. The building was designed by Mario Botta, but I digress. Anyway, this gets my vote as the best place to play in Basel, for both kids and adults.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful photos! I am really looking forward to seeing and hearing more about your adventures!

    Sending my love to you both!

    ReplyDelete