Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Seeing is believing

So, here we are, for 9 months. Temporarily living in Basel. That length of time usually coincides with baby-making, but not for this girl. Instead, I am using my nine months to See as much as I can. By See, I mean take it all in. Small details in the pavement along the Rhine, the highest mountains, strange rocks, black cats on trellises high above markets in Paris, colors that illustrate the personality of a place, architecture, and of course, green space.

Just like the fact that anything can happen on a Snow Day, anything goes on my field trips. There is no yelling if the permission slip didn't get signed and turned in. In fact, most of my favorite field trips happened somewhat serendipitously. I may have a skeleton of what I intended to See. But it is usually that wrong turn, down a side street to something else that makes for the best fun. That is what adds the flesh and blood to the skeleton.

The act of Seeing will also cover my musings. I am very curious, sometimes, too much so. As a result, I like to See things for myself. I like to know how places, people and things work. I took case studies very seriously when I was in school becoming a landscape architect. In a way, I am treating this 9 months of Seeing as my big attempt to case study the world. The evidence will be evident in this blog. I look forward to chronicling my Field Trips to places landscape architects should See.

Right now, I am nearing completion of the first 2 trimesters of Seeing. Field Trips will help me organize, focus and share what I have Seen. Lets face it, no one wants to sit through a slide show of my 57,000 photos when I get back to Real Life! So Field Trips will offer you my favorites, the quirkiest and sometimes the best of what Seeing has offered me.

Wilkommen and I hope you enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. i LOVE it! can't wait to 'see' more, nicole; this is going to be great! :)

    ReplyDelete