Monday, May 3, 2010

Observations

I have been back home in the good, old Philadelphia suburbs for about a month and a half. There was no real culture shock upon returning home. I expected the transition to be rougher and in fact, it was pretty easy. I am glad to be home, with my cat and my familiar house.

There are still many Field Trips tales to be told. So this will now be a mix of old and new stories. I look forward to checking posts off the list of stuff I want to write about from my past travels. And I look forward to adding to the list from my future Field Trips, even though I am no longer an expat. So look for a mixture of the two to come. Just because I am home, in familiar territory, my curiosity does not wane.

One of the big things I noticed that has changed in my neighborhood is that two of my favorite little places to eat have closed. One is a diner that has changed hands probably 3 times in 6 years. The last owner seemed to be pretty successful, but I think they have been sucked under by the recession. A hand-written Closed sign greeted us upon out return from Switzerland.

Our other favorite place is a tiny breakfast place, a little farther from home, but well worth the trip. It was a family owned breakfast and lunch spot. They had amazing Turtle pancakes and chicken fajita omelets, not to mention amazing coffee. When I was home for a few weeks last summer, they had changed their hours, only open on weekends. Last month I called one Saturday morning to be sure they were open and no one answered. May our favorite breakfast spot RIP. Again, I assume they are another recession victim.

And then the new Marshall's store opened. No, food and Marshall's are not usually mentioned as comparisons, but this is my world. Actually, one local store closed and a brand new one went up near my house. The parking lot is very poorly designed. It is in a new strip mall that houses stores like Aldi, Mattress Giant and the usual office, big box and home improvements stores. And a handful of crappy, unhealthy chain restaurants.

Despite the crappy parking lot design, this lot is always packed. Always. From day one on.

Why is it that people stop going to the cute, friendly, family operated food places. Now we have 2 less places to spend an hour or so in the morning, lingering over coffee, conversation, good food. Two fewer places to nourish body and soul and healthy relationships. Two fewer places to relax and contemplate. But yet there is a new Marshall's and it is always packed.

I guess many people in my neck of the woods would rather spend their time and hard-earned money on semi-disposable articles of materialism than on good food and time spent with loved ones. I love Marshall's just as much as the next person, but this chain of events is an interesting observation in how people choose to spend their money these days. These days of recession.

No comments:

Post a Comment