Thursday, April 15, 2010

Renewal

Spring is here. For most, this is a good thing. But for me, spring has always just been one of the required waiting seasons, summer being the other, that gets me back to my favorites, fall and winter. Must suffer through spring and summer to get to the good ones.

But this year, things for me are changing. Just like the Grinch warms up to the Whos in Whooville, I am learning to appreciate what spring has to offer. I have always been aware, from a horticulture standpoint, of why spring is one of the most beloved seasons. I can understand, but never really liked it all that much. But this year I do.

Not too many people can deny loving the first sight of hyacinths and tulips and daffodils. After a long, dark winter, any sign of color is bound to excite. But for me, it is the renewal that hits me right in the nose. So many trees are laid bare for the world to examine all winter. We look to them for firewood, we think they are getting old and wrinkly. We see their every flaw.

Yet each year, they get a chance at renewal in spring. A new set of buds and leaves, a chance to display new growth. And this growth is good, bright green and full of horticultural enthusiasm towards the new growing season. In spring, you see colors that you never will see again. Even next spring will be slightly different than now.

Trees show us all their glory in their bare winter costume. Then come spring, the most magnificent shades of green come out. And they aren't too flashy, trees know how to keep it simple. Just subtle reminders of what is to come. No stress from sun and wind and moisture and nutrients yet. No overgrown displays that need to be pruned. No pests and diseases. Just a simple display of the grandness that is renewal. You can still see the strong branches through the thin cover of blossom or leaf. Spring bling is never garish.

And then we have the really symbolic spring trees. Cherries, magnolias and redbuds. And of course the spring bulbs mentioned earlier. At this time, they display their best annual show of color. And yet this color is untethered by all the green leaves that will soon surround it. Again, we witness the color unadulterated, simple and clear.

I wish I had a yearly opportunity of renewal that the plant world does. How cool would it be if I could lose or gain a few pounds, just because of the season? Add or subtract a curve here or there. I think it would be great to wake up one day with a different hair color or style. Or a different skin tone. Maybe next year, no freckles!

In the plant world, this happens not by choice. It all just happens. No pondering or manipulating or discussing. How refreshing that simplicity would be. Then, regardless of your changes, everyone still loves and admires you. Perfect.

I will always be a winter lover. I am an old vine, late harvest, curl up under a blanket and look for an excuse to wear my rain boots kind of girl. But this year I have learned to See spring for what it is and gladly admit that I like that.

Emerson said it best. "Adopt the pace of nature. Her secret is patience."

No comments:

Post a Comment