Tuesday, September 21, 2010

My So-Called, Dust-Filled Life





We are in the middle of a kitchen remodel, not to mention a few other projects. Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it), I am at a time and place in life where I get to supervise the General Contractor. Fun, fun, fun.

The house is about a century old. Day 4 and here is what I have learned:

I learned on Sunday the the kitchen radiator, which needed to be moved, was probably installed in 1948. The plumber, at that time, left us a March 1948 calendar under the flooring at the radiator.

We learned during demolition that the cabinets were probably original. Built in place boxes. Maybe the doors were painted and hardware replaced since. We salvaged both and will reuse them on newly constructed boxes in Garage Mahal in the future (yes, I mean Another project!).

I learned that it hurts a little (ok, a lot!) to hear the GC ripping away at old brick in the name of new chimney hood duct work.

I learned that plumbers are notorious users of profanity. I wonder if Mr. 1948 Plumber used the same profane words when he installed it as Mr. 2010 Plumber used when he tried to remove it.


I learned that arguments are bound to happen between spouses when remodels happen.

I learned that maybe the previous owners weren't as stupid as I thought. They just didn't remodel because they weren't as brave. They didn't want to tackle the challenges that we have or will need to overcome before this is through.

I learned that designers do not always explain all the flaws in a design, whether it is their fault or not and that at least 4 sets of eyes are not enough to catch all mistakes. This one hits particularly close to home, as I am a designer and I frequently am responsible for quality control on drawings.

I learned that no matter how much you plan, there will always be more work and money involved. If you accept this theory, life will be easier.

I learned that this will not be easy, clean or even accurate. That me and my spouse will have to both realize that we are not always right and that the designer, contractors and everyone else cannot be either. That just sucks, but it is what it is. That is the 'joy' of updating a century-old habitat. The house has an attitude that will not be suppressed through saws, PEX and paint. That attitude should be honored to some extent.

I learned that beer is the beverage of choice during a remodel involving a kitchen. It is in a self-contained, small necked, reusable bottle. This reduces dust floaties in your beverage, such as one encounters with wine, which will continue to catch the still-settling floaties, which are constantly in the air. Stick with beer, stay safe from floaties and get some sleep in the process.

I am only 4 days into this process, 2 for us and 2 for the contractors. This process will go on and on because we are not independently wealthy. We cannot just hire someone to do it all. Nor are we the type to do that anyway.

More to come...






1 comment:

  1. what a great post nicole, i'm sooo excited for you guys to have a new kitchen! a few things i totally agree with - arguing, check; beer, check; surpassing budgets, check. good luck, i can't wait to see the results. it will look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete