Monday, July 12, 2010

My Love of Stone




I love stone, boulders and rock in a landscape. If you read my recent post about fences, you will see that others do not share my enthusiasm for rock piles. When I was able to source the reclaimed stone locally and discovered that they were all part of a local barn and were mined locally, I felt like I hit the reclaimed materials jackpot. I liked my pile of stone even when it was just a pile. Now it is a pile in transition. Each piece is slowly making its way to the front yard. Little by little, piece by piece it will make a massive difference in curb appeal and is already making me want to spend time in the front instead of the back. It is a work in progress.

Occasionally, I contribute to Landscape Architecture magazine's Riprap section. I just read a piece about this guy in the July 2010 Riprap. Check out the 16 minute film and see how other people feel about stone. All the credits and info are right there.

http://vimeo.com/7653628

Jon is no Andy Goldsworthy, for those of you familiar with Rivers and Tides. He talks way too much to be compared to Andy. But, his Stone River is pretty inspirational and impressive.

With that, I will head back out front. More weed pulling and soil turning before I can add more stone.

1 comment:

  1. OMG, I am in love with that pile of stone. Is it gone? I want to make a pilgrimage to it. Like I have ancestors on Easter Island or something.

    ReplyDelete