Friday, January 15, 2010

Busy Celebrating Winter!

Winter is wonderful. Especially here, as I am finding out. Yes, it costs twice as much to go on Field Trips, but it is relatively easy to get around, Switzerland being just a tiny mountain pass of a country. You can get anywhere in less than 4 hours. It is even easier considering my husband drives me all over on the weekends. Thanks dear! I plan it, he drives. Good deal.

Last weekend I planned tobogganing and snowboarding Field Trips. First, we headed to Engelberg to go sledding. This is a serious thing here in der Schweiz. We have done it once before, in Austria and had an amazing time. So much fun. In Austria, it seems as though the kids use it as the primary means of transportation in the winter. I use the term 'winter' lightly. The lovely white stuff is known to stay around until well into springtime here and can show up in the early fall. Nirvana, for me.

Just as we remembered, it was a blast. The track was great and there weren't too many people out. No lines! You take the gondola up and get your toboggan at the top. After the ride down, which lasts about 15 minutes at a good pace, you give them your sled and head back up for another run. The Swiss (and Austrians, too) have this tobogganing thing down to a science. I love it!

I will spare you the snowboarding details for now. Lets just say that I am a skier. I will have a better tale to tell about skiing after this weekend. We are headed out to play in the snow yet again. In fact, my goal is to have a ski or toboggan Field Trip every weekend until we go home.

One of the reasons that I love skiing so much is because of the landscape. All of the senses are engaged up on a mountain or on a chairlift. I like everything about it: altitude and elevation, scenery or lack thereof because of snow and clouds, the smell of trees and snow (yes, I think snow has a very distinct scent), the peaceful sound of woods when you are all alone, the feel of snowflakes on the tiny exposed area of my face, the swishy noise that my skis make in the snow, even the ice. One of my favorite things is to hear the melting water rushing downhill in a stream in the woods near the lift. You may not be able to see it, but you can sure hear it and it is very relaxing.

And now, living in Switzerland, I am surrounded by many people who probably feel the same about winter as me. I have yet to hear any of the natives complain about the weather. So this is another good example of people enjoying the environments that nature gave them, making the best of it all and keeping fit at the same time. Yes, nature is manipulated in the case of skiing, but when I get to design them, they will be sustainable. The Swiss really know how to enjoy snow. I am very thankful for the winter weather and the landscape that surrounds me here.

Off to go plan my next snowy Field Trip! There is hope to live out that ski bum dream yet, even if just for a little while.

1 comment:

  1. beautiful photos! hey, we should plan a tobogganing trip together sometime soon - since you know the best spots, we can always follow your lead! :)

    ReplyDelete